Process Automation Services
Process automation is taking a repetitive task and using computer code to semi or fully automate the task. The chart below is an automated graph generated from Raleigh’s Open Data on pot-holes filled, generated once a week:
Benefits of Process Automation
By automating the task, you gain several benefits:
- time savings
- consistency (the task will always be completed on time)
- reliability (you can audit the computer code to see exactly how the results were produced)
Note that this is not about using computers or machines to take people’s job. Automation greatly expands individuals capabilities. It does not take jobs away, it makes companies and units much more efficient and more productive.
Examples of Automation
Several examples of automation CRIME De-Coder has programmed:
- Automating Troy PDs online crime map
- Creating standard reports to feedback to midlevel sergeants about the quality of proactive police stops they were making
- Creating automated phone lists to conduct police contact surveys
- Automated identification of similar names to create a master name index
Anything a person does on a regular basis and that can be reduced to a series of specific tasks can be automated. This may include scraping web data, automated emailing of reports, uploading data to a database, etc.
Technology to Automate
CRIME De-Coder has automated tasks in:
- SPSS (data management and statistical reports)
- Python and Github
- Tableau Dashboards
- Creating Views in SQL with various databases (Postgres, Access, Spark)
CRIME De-Coder has extensive experience migrating closed source scripts (SPSS, SAS, ArcGIS) to open source tools.
Do you have a task that you wish was automated? Contact the CRIME De-Coder today for a free consultation to discuss automating that process with code.